Thursday, March 18, 2010

Along for the Ride

I’ve been writing and rewriting this post in my head for a few days now and truth be told I’m still not really sure what to write. I don’t really want this to turn in to one of those Dear Diary whiny post, but I also don’t want it to be a bunch of fluff and nonsense that doesn’t really reflect what’s going on…so here goes. I know that I have a lot of things to be thankful for, but lately it seems that the no-so-good stuff elbowing its way in to the forefront.

My grandma (on my dad’s side) has been here since Christmas, when she broke her hip. Since December she has had a hospital stay, been moved to rehab, readmitted to the hospital for a clot and returned to rehab. Now the situation alone is enough to stress anyone - it has made it very clear that important decisions must be made about Grandma’s future and her ability to live on her own. The situation has been made even more difficult, especially for my dad, because my Grandmother is difficult (to put it mildly) and with my Uncle living on another continent much of the stress and worry has landed on my dad’s shoulders.

As if that were not enough my dad’s best friend and one time business partner Randy Smith died this week. Randy has been deteriorating for quite some time now, and while his death was to be expected it is not easy. I am terribly sad to see Randy loose this fight, I am heartbroken for his family and pray that they can begin to process of healing. I am even sadder that it has added to the burden that my dad is carrying.

On a more personal front, I seem to have stumbled right down the yellow brick road and into a bit of postartumness. The icky bluish feelings are not really helped by the stress of packing (oh ya, did I mention we are moving). This is actually a really good move for us; we will be much closer to Chris’ job and paying a much more reasonable amount for rent, thus allowing me to continue my job as Domestic Goddess. Still, moving SUCKS! It sucks even more when trying to coordinate packing and a 6 month old who is not at all interested in individual play. I am taking care of myself and I’m sure I will be back to myself sometime soon.

Like Gary Allen sings,
Life ain’t always beautiful
Tears will fall sometimes
Life ain’t always beautiful
But it's a beautiful ride

Today, I am thankful for the ride. I am thankful that brighter days are always just down the road a bit and I am thankful for all of the people that are along for the ride with me. I hope that each of you is able to enjoy the journey and that you have ‘road trip’ companions as great as mine.

No comments: