Sunday, August 15, 2010

Life Happened

I saw the rest of my old friends
At our reunion at the Holiday Inn
And it seemed like it was only yesterday
Standing in the gym in our cap and gown
Full of wonderlust and glory bound
We set out to chase our dreams on wings of passion
But somewhere along the way we got distracted

Life happened
Our clothes went out of fashion with our songs
We started families and bought SUV's
Became step dads and soccer moms
I finally realized we turned out alright
And we spent the night just catching up and dancing
And life happened
                                   - Tammy Cochran

A little of 10 years ago I was a high school senior. Friday Night Football still ruled the weekend, our lives revolved around who was hooking up, who was breaking up and who was hosting the next party (in which pasture). A little over 10 years ago I was one of 217 kids who thought we knew it all, who couldn't wait to graduate and to leave Montgomery in search of bigger and better things.  Many of us found the bigger and better we went in search of, we started careers, changed careers, got married, had children and a few of us even found our way back to Montgomery. Life Happened

Yesterday many of us reunited at our 10 year reunion. Our class officers worked hard to put together a memorable evening of dinner, dancing, and good friends.We are all older, some of us are wiser and all those things that mattered so much 10 years ago (the rumors, the drama, etc) it ceased to exist. We spent the evening reminicing about old times, laughing at how smart we thought we were, and toasting to how far we've come.  Life Happened.  .

When I graduated from college and embarked into the career world I measured each job opportuinty about how I would feel about claiming that job at my high school reunion.  I was ashamed that I eneded up using my college degree to be an assistant.  (I was young, and dumb - I know better now).  With each step I took in my career I thought about how I would measure up at that dreaded reunion.  I finally achieved the managment position I desired and built a resume I would be proud to discuss amongst my high school peers and then I walked away from all of it.  I went to my high school reunion with no career to compare to my peers...and you know what? it didn't matter.  In the last 10 years I have grown up alot, and I finally understand that everyone's path is different and that you can't really compare where you are to where someone else is (yes, my parent's told me that over and over again...it just took a while and some experience for it to sink in) I am proud of all that I have achieved and happy with the life I have built and the family that I have started. I am happy with how my Life Happened.


No comments: